Monday, November 28, 2011

"bad idea but i want it" territory

So.

Dale Hunter for coach. Let's talk about that.

Not that this is anything more than a rumor--it's definitely a rumor that's been making the rounds, and it makes a certain sort of sense but there is exactly zip confirmation on anything so far. The only thing that is for sure is that if there is indeed a coaching spot available in Washington, Dale Hunter would probably get some consideration.

I can tell you that it's definitely been on my mind--look a few posts down and you'll find him featured prominently in the "list of coaches that are out there right now". I will admit freely, though, that a lot of this is definitely the nostalgia part of my brain talking, I want it in the same way that you want to sit down and watch your old VHS of "Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back" or the way your high school reunion sounds like a good idea.

I want it because: Dale Hunter, you guys.



Dale Hunter. 

I want it because Dale Hunter is my favorite. I want it because I like the way he played, how close to the line he got, I want it because I want to see him come home to Washington the way that Kolzig has, because wouldn't that make such a cool story. 

Objectively--you know, as objectively as I am capable of, which is not that objectively--this may or may not be an actual Good Idea. It may actually be a Bad Idea masquerading in the form of Dale Hunter, because this is the best Trojan Horse ever and I will let it in the gates every time. LET'S TAKE A CLOSER LOOK.

 
Reasons why this could crash and burn:
  • Dale Hunter has zero pro coaching experience. None. He has years and years of coaching experience in juniors and he's got a great record there, but he has never coached at the NHL or even the AHL level. 
  • Wayne Gretzky as coach. Not that I am saying this is a direct parallel, because Dale Hunter does have coaching experience, but let's just say that taking "well, he was a great player" as a credential doesn't always work out.
  • Are we really willing to throw a coach with a 70% win percentage and the record for fastest to 200 wins out on his ear? I know I've been leading the torch-carrying mob for quite some time but now that it seems like more of a reality, it's a little harder to pull the trigger.

Reasons why this could be a good idea: 
  • If there's anything that the Washington Capitals are a little short on right now, it's grit. If there's anything that Dale Hunter, has in spades, it's grit. He is grit. He eats grit for breakfast.
  • He's doing a hell of a job with the London Knights. On the night of that awful loss to Buffalo, Dale Hunter won his 450th game. 
  • Something's got to give. It has to. At this point it's almost less of a question of whether Boudreau deserves to go, he kind of has to either way. The Caps need a different voice in the room, and if we need someone who's not afraid to speak up, this just might be our guy.


Let's be honest, this is more than likely a totally bullshit rumor--but it's interesting to think about, isn't it? We're spectators of the front office the same way we're spectators of the team on the ice--all we can do is wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment